And what it says about who’s in Sherlock’s mind palace, and what they represent.
- Molly represents Data. Although Sherlock is a chemist, it’s Molly who he turns to most frequently for scientific facts. In the moments after he’s shot, Sherlock needs to understand what’s going on with his body. Molly is a coroner, and knows better than anyone else the cold, hard effects of a bullet to the chest.
- Mycroft is Reason. As established in The Sign of Three, he’s there to help prompt and guide Sherlock on how to coalesce the facts he already knows into a pattern, and therefore predict and control outcomes. Molly tells Sherlock that his body is going into shock? Mycroft prompts him with the solution (don’t go into shock by finding a source of comfort, i.e Redbeard).
- Anderson is a Greek Chorus. He’s an annoying intrusion, but he helps to support and repeat the facts. His and Molly’s real world professions (coroner/forensics expert) mirroring each other no doubt linked them together in Sherlock’s mind.
- Moriarty is Pain and Death. When Sherlock cannot handle the physical pain, he consults his mind’s source of pain. That source is the thing hidden away which tells Sherlock that death is preferable and comfortable, a place without pain where no one will bother him ever again.
- John is Love. Sherlock’s mind knows that people will be saddened at his death (Mrs. Hudson and his parents are named specifically, but also Mycroft, Molly, Lestrade et al. can be added to the list). However, it’s not the thought of saddening them or even John that causes Sherlock to fight. It’s the realization that John might be in danger, that Sherlock would fail him. It’s not dying again that shakes Sherlock, it’s not being able to protect John.
can’t decide whether it will be annoying or funny when the “sherlock’s mom wrote a math book so she’s the real moriarty” posts start
the entire sherlock fandom right now
Guys….Greg started smoking again when Sherlock left.
I’m not going to even think about whether it’s because he’s stressed since he couldn’t use Sherlock as a resource and it made his job harder or because he actually missed him. But the smoking parallel is not a coincidence. We all know what the Sherlock writers say about coincidences…
MYCROFT ONLY SEES A SCARED LITTLE BOY WHEN HE LOOKS AT SHERLOCK.
WHO TOLD YOU THAT WAS OKAY
IT IS WAY TOO SOON FOR THIS POST TO HAPPEN
The song that played at the end of Sherlock S3E2: The Sign of Three
Mycroft Holmes was a much larger and stouter man than Sherlock. His body was absolutely corpulent, but is face, though massive, had preserved something of the sharpness of expression which was so remarkable in that of his brother. His eyes, which were of a peculiarly light, watery gray, seemed to always retain that far-away, introspective look which I had only observed in Sherlock’s when he was exerting his full powers.
- The Adventure of the Greek Interpreter (Arthur Conan Doyle, 1893)
I forgot I had this saved. This was actually on New Year’s, too. right before series three premiered. although given the latest episode, this got even
I have never, ever done this for a theory post before, so please take it seriously when I say…
WARNING: Things. Get. Real. Under. The. Cut. Really. Really. Real.
So now that the episode is out, let me show you thing. They filmed some fake scenes for the fans watching.
the quietly whispered “what the fuck” in horror
there’s a really big difference between “the writers want to put these two characters in a queer relationship but can’t because of censors” and “we’re going to keep putting these characters in queer situations and playing it off as a really funny joke”
Molly Hooper really needs to stop dating murderers.
holy shit on a tit
fuck fuck FUCK FUCK
congRATS SHERLOCK FANDOM IT TOOK YOU APPROXIMATELY 12 HOURS
видимо, я была хорошей девочкой в прошедшем году
(c) “BBC Sherlock”